Patient Service Rep II - Medical Assistant
Company: Akron Children's Hospital
Posted on: September 10, 2020
About UsAkron Children s Hospital is one of the largest
independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the
best children s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our
dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year
through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations
offering primary and specialty care.We are leading the way to
healthier futures for children and communities through expert
medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a
teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other
universities, we train new generations of pediatricians,
specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.OUR PROMISES
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reasonWe are seeking people who
are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients,
family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and
personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Ophthalmology Department Full Time Day Shift 40 Hours per Week
The Patient Service Representative II Medical Assistant provides a
series of functions including but not limited to the following:
Maintain the integrity of patient demographic information;
Maintain patient insurance and billing information and execute
registration and billing functions;
Schedule patient appointments;
Perform patient arrival and departure functions;
Prepare patients for examination and provide quality care;
Execute point-of-service activities including visit preparation,
co-payment collection and patient tracking. Responsibilities:
1. Provide for smooth running of office by setting and revising
priorities based on workload and anticipating needs and
2. Greet all patients and patient families in a polite and
3. Responsible for the overall appearance of the department.
4. Follows through on routine tasks and general office duties
(i.e., faxing, copying, filing, mailings, promptly returning phone
5. Maintain appointment calendars for physicians and schedule
patient visits or other diagnostic testing utilizing hospital
procedures and resources.
6. Develops and maintains positive relationships with patients and
families via prompt and caring response to questions, requests,
7. Knowledge of health insurance and managed care requirements with
regard to referrals and diagnostic tests, including accurate and
timely completion/submission of forms for the various insurance
8. Performs point-of-service activities such as visit preparation,
co-payment collection and patient tracking - under the direction of
the Practice Manager.
9. May be temporarily assigned to an area within Akron Children s
Hospital, based on patient/business needs requiring the skill sets
of a PSRII/MA.
10. Works under the supervision and direction of a Physician or a
licensed nurse, providing specific care to designated patients.
11. Prepares patients for examination; takes and records vital
signs; performs phlebotomy as needed; administers medications as
directed by the physician according to policy and procedure
12. Accurately communicates patient findings and pertinent
information to the licensed nurse utilizing appropriate
communication/documentation process (e.g. SBAR) and reports patient
complaints and/or signs of distress/pain promptly to the nurse
responsible for the patient.
13. Able to prioritize and execute tasks for the assigned patients
in a timely and efficient manner under the direction of the
14. Documentation of care within the EPIC system will be completed
in a precise, accurate manner abiding by established guidelines for
15. Follows safety policies and procedures in the delivery of care
to assure a safe environment for patients, families and other staff
16. Accurately collects, processes and submits laboratory
17. Completes all assignments during scheduled working hours.
18. Cleans and prepares exam rooms.
19. Other duties as Assigned. Other information:
1. Working knowledge of computerized appointment scheduling system,
patient billing, insurance claim processing and other office
related functions. Knowledge of and experience in medical
terminology and/or CPT-ICD-CM coding is preferred.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively via
telephone or face-to-face with patients, patient families,
physicians and other staff members within the facility. Excellent
organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize
multiple tasks and coordinate their completion in a timely and
3. Experience working in a healthcare environment is preferred.
4. Ability to type a minimum of 35 words per minute (wpm) is
5. Experience working in electronic charting software (e.g. EPIC)
or similar software is preferred.
6. Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word) or similar
software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is required;
Associate s degree in related field is preferred.
2. Certification: Completion of state approved Medical Assistant
Program, EMT or Paramedic Program is required;
3. Certification: Basic Life Saving (BLS) certification from the
American Heart Association is required.
4. Phlebotomy certification is preferred.
5. Years of relevant experience: Minimum of 3 years of relevant
6. Years of experience supervising: None. Full Time FTE:
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of
Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with
Disabilities. EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link
below to learn more:
Position: MEDICAL ASSISTANT Associated topics: arnp, child,
children, kid, md do, neonatology, ped, pediatric, primary, primary
Keywords: Akron Children's Hospital, Akron , Patient Service Rep II - Medical Assistant, Sales , Akron, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!