HIM Coding Specialist
Company: Akron Children's Hospital
Posted on: January 13, 2022
About Akron Children 's HospitalAkron Children 's Hospital has
been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties
are ranked among the nation 's best by U.S. News & World Report.
With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than
50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we 're
making it easier for today 's busy families to find the
high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system
provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate
neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional
health care partners. Every year, our Children 's Home Care Group
nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health
nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through
high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron
Children 's Anywhere app, we 're here for families whenever and
wherever they need us. Learn more at .OUR PROMISES
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reasonPrior to the start date,
full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full
vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received
vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.We are
seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment
in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds,
cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can
The Health Information Management Coding Specialist performs coding
function through review and analysis of electronic, paper, or
hybrid patient medical records and assigning diagnosis and
procedure codes. - -Responsibilities:
1. Performs coding function through review and analysis of
electronic, paper, or hybrid patient medical records and assigning
diagnosis and procedure codes through ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM,
ICD-10-PCS as of 1-1-2014, and CPT-4 coding and classification
systems.2. Queries physicians when additional documentation is
needed for coding specificity.3. Works with DRGs and APR-DRGs.
4. Abstracts clinical data from these same patient records and
performs data entry into clinical/statistical database.
5. Processes and maintains accurate hospital statistics.
6. Reviews EPIC work queues daily for coding edits and makes
necessary and appropriate coding changes based on medical
documentation. -7. Conducts reviews for appeals from payor
8. Processes infusion and injection coding on observation and
9. Works as a collaborative team member with Revenue Cycle
Department, Quality Service Department and Finance Department to
ensure optimization of reimbursement.
10. Assists with research projects by working with physicians and
other requestors and querying pertinent databases or indices for
reportable statistics such as diagnoses, procedures, and/or
11. Other duties as required.
1. Experience in health information management is required.
2. Experience in ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS as of 1-1-2014,
and CPT-4 coding and classification systems is required.
3. Experience working with all levels within an organization is
4. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
5. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar
software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: Associate 's degree in Health Information or related
field is required; Bachelor 's degree is preferred.
2. Certification: RHIT, RHIA, CCS, CCA , or CCS-P certification is
required.3. Years of relevant experience: 1 year required. 3 to 5
years is preferred.
4. Years of experience supervising: None.
-Full Time -FTE: 1.000000
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of
Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with
Disabilities. EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link
below to learn more:
Keywords: Akron Children's Hospital, Akron , HIM Coding Specialist, Other , Akron, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!