NP or Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) - Oncology
Company: Cleveland Clinic
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Job Responsibilities:Collaborate on care of high-risk patients
and patient care issues which promote high quality, safe, cost
- Round with patients/nurses and interdisciplinary teams
- Proactively monitor nursing practices and analyzing data for
trendsResponsible for dissemination of knowledge through
instructing, leading and developing educational programs
- Developing/teaching specialty classes
- Providing "just in time" teaching at the point of careWork with
members of the healthcare team to share clinical expertise
- Lead and in continuous quality improvement projects
- Represent nursing on hospital or enterprise
committeesSupporting nursing shared governance teams Promotes
translation of evidence based practices :
- Primary responsibility for writing/revising policies,
procedures, and nursing protocols
- Disseminating knowledge from research studiesSupport
professional development of clinical nurses :
- Provide career coaching and guidance
- Assist with poster/oral abstract developmentEducation:
- APRN: EDUCATION: Effective 05/01/2014: MSN required upon hire
or within 5 years of hire for external hires and internal hires
moving from a non-APRN licensed role to an APRN licensed role.
- Graduate of an accredited ARPN graduate program.Certifications:
- APRN: Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse and Advanced
Practice Registered Nurse in applicable state.
- National certification as Clinical Nurse Specialist by
nationally accredited organization recognized by state Board of
Nursing, current licensure by by applicable state Board of
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pediatric Advanced Life
Support (PALS) through the American Heart Association (AHA); or
Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) through the American Academy
of Pediatrics (AAP) may be required based upon work setting.
.Competencies (Complexity of Work):
- APRN: Excellent analytical and decision making skills are
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated competency and the ability to perform advanced
assessment and diagnosis.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize the electronic medical
- Two years clinical nursing experience preferred.Physical
- APRN: Typical physical demands include the ability to walk and
stand for long periods of time.
- Manual and finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination to
perform physical examinations.
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to a normal range.
- Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50
- May require exposure to communicable diseases and/or body
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective
equipment as required.Keywords: CNS; Clinical Nurse
SpecialistCleveland Clinic Akron General is looking for
knowledgeable Clinical Nurse Specialist with a background in
oncology to support patients in the hospital setting. The CNS will
help support patient care, provide education to bedside nurses and
residents as well as ensure practice protocols and support/promote
evidence-based practice and safety.
Monday through Friday, 8-hour day shifts: 8am -5pm (based off
Ideal applicants will have clinical experience within Oncology.
Expected Job Duties:
1. Chemotherapy education for both patients/families and nurses
2. Facilitate new nurse oncology orientation, including ensuring
completion of Cancer Basics and Fundamentals of
3. Oversee chemotherapy practicum for inpatient nurses to ensure
4. Oversee yearly oncology competency.
5. Review inpatient chemotherapy orders to ensure all elements are
correct and review orders/processes with staff nurses.
6. Work with staff nurses on non-oncology floors to monitor
patients who have received chemotherapy.
7. Educate non-oncology nurses on safe handling, including waste
8. Develop and implement a standard outpatient orientation and
9. Monitor Commission on Cancer (CoC) standard 4.2 for nursing and
10. Assist with community outreach education.
11. Participate on oncology-related committees
12. QI projects
Nationally certified licensed healthcare provider who provides
primary and/or specialty nursing and/or medical care in a variety
of healthcare settings. Functions in collaboration with a physician
according to a standard care arrangement and specialty
certification. Practice emphasizes health promotion, disease
prevention and the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic
health problems. CNSs provide expertise and support to nurses
caring for patients at the point of service , help drive practice
changes throughout the organization, and ensure the use of best
practices and evidence-based care to achieve the best possible
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic, Akron , NP or Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) - Oncology, Healthcare , Akron, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!