Company: Red Oak Behavioral Health
Posted on: February 21, 2021
Job Summary:The Medical Assistant will help patients by providing
information, services, and assistance for all outpatient psychiatry
services and within Red Oak's treatment programs. Other duties
include securing medical records, scheduling and rescheduling with
the proper clinician, managing patient inquiries, and maintaining
medical records in a timely fashion. Medical assistants are
cross-trained to perform administrative and clinical duties. Red
Oak's medical assistant will be instrumental in helping patients
feel at ease in the physician's office and often explain the
physician's instructions. The medical assistant will be fully
responsible for the smooth day-to-day operations of outpatient
psychiatry services and other treatment programs at Red
Oak.Essential Functions and Duties:
- Fields all calls and inquiries from potential patients,
gathering preliminary information regarding reasons for visit and
scheduling with the proper psychiatric provider.
- Verifies patient information by interviewing patient; recording
medical history; confirming purpose of visit.
- Prepares patients for examination by performing preliminary
physical tests; taking blood pressure, weight, and temperature;
reporting patient history summary.
- Coordinates with psychiatrist and/or other advanced practice
nursing staff regarding office procedures.
- Secures patient information and maintains patient
confidentiality by completing and safeguarding medical records;
completing diagnostic coding and procedure coding; keeping patient
- Counsels patients by transmitting physician's or other advanced
practice nursing staff orders and questions about refills,
appointments and referrals.
- Schedules appointments and follow-up appointments; verifying
times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admission and consent
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by
establishing and following standards and procedures; complying with
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders;
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational
opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Serves and protects the practice by adhering to professional
standards, policies and procedures specific to Red Oak and its
operations, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Enhances practice reputation by accepting ownership for
accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities
to add value to job accomplishments.
- Perform nursing procedures under supervision of physician,
nurse practitioner or other advanced practice nursing staff.
- Assist physician and nurse practitioners in exam rooms.
- Escort patients to exam rooms, interviews patients, measure
vital signs, including weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature,
and document all information in patient's chart.
- Give instructions to patients as instructed by physician,
physician assistant or nursing staff.
- Ensure all related reports, labs and information is filed and
is available in patients' medical records prior to their
- Take telephone messages and provide feedback and answers to
- Triage and process messages from patients and front office
staff to physicians and physician assistants.
- Lead or assist in running treatment or other therapy groups as
- Maintain all logs and required checks.
- All other duties as assigned by Practice Manager.
- Perform other related duties as required and
assigned.Administrative Duties (may include, but not limited to)
- Using computer applications
- Answering telephones
- Greeting patients
- Updating and filing patient medical records
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Scheduling appointments
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Handling correspondence, billing, and bookkeeping
- Coordinate care with internal and external providers
- Complete internal referrals
- Obtain medical records and manage referral thank you
- Obtain prior authorizations for medications
- 5122 paperwork and coordination as may be requiredClinical
Duties (may include, but not limited to):
- Taking medical histories
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examination
- Assisting the physician during exams
- Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- Authorizing prescription refills as directed by psychiatrist or
nurse practitioner, per procedures in policy manual
- Obtaining prior authorization for medications as directed by
psychiatrist or nurse practitioner, per procedures in policy
- Sending and collecting questionnaires from patients
- Taking and recording vitals- height, weight, blood pressure,
and pulse readingsEducation/Training:
- High school diploma; college graduate preferred
- Medical assistant certification with three (3) or more years
experienceQualifications:Supply Management, Verbal Communication,
Infection Control, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment,
Organization, Scheduling, Professionalism, Customer Focus,
Confidentiality, Bedside Manner, Medical TeamworkSkills, Knowledge
- One-year psychiatric experience, preferred;
- Must have strong work ethic
- Must have compassion for individuals living with the medical
condition of mental illness
- Strong organizational skills;
- Graduate of an accredited program;
- Computer literate; ability to answer phones and schedule
- Knowledge of infection control practices;]
- Ability to work on a team;
- Demonstrates aptitude to utilize agency's Electronic Health
Record (EHR)Physical Demands:An employee in this position may be
required to occasionally lift, move and/or set-up stacks of
documents, lap-top computers, flip charts and other materials.
Employee may also be required to work for extended periods of time
at a computer terminal.Special Job Requirements:To meet the needs
of our clients, flexibility in work schedule is required.Contact
with Others:Frequent interpersonal interaction with peers,
subordinates and outside contacts.Work Environment:The work
environment is at the agency's Outpatient Clinic residing at 611 W.
Market St., Akron, Ohio.#PM21.
Keywords: Red Oak Behavioral Health, Akron , Medical Assistant, Healthcare , Akron, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!