Company: FirstEnergy Corp
Posted on: September 24, 2022
FirstEnergy at a Glance We are a forward-thinking electric
utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making
customers' lives brighter, the environment better and our
communities stronger. - FirstEnergy -(NYSE: FE) is dedicated to
integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence.
Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the
nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000
miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and
Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total
capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts. About the Opportunity This
is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., -a subsidiary of
FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU] There are 3 open positions for the Akron,
OH office. The job of Substation Design Engineer requires an
individual to be self-directed with an interest and / or ability to
create and manage engineering designs, equipment and standards for
the Substation Engineering group within FirstEnergy. - This
position will work within a staff of engineers, survey crews,
drafters / layouts, both internal and external, engaged in a wide
variety of engineering design, from the request for project
estimation through construction and record update. - This position
will report on the progress of design projects and advise of any
issues that could impair the successful completion of the project
on a proactive basis. - This position must provide technical
support to Substation and Transmission personnel, Real Estate,
Project Management and Construction crews verifying that no safety
standards are compromised, checking for accuracy, and monitoring
expenditures to ensure projects stay within budget allocation and
meet the required in-service date. Responsibilities include:
- Creating engineering designs and work scope for substation
projects and confirming documentation and support is available to
necessary personnel. - Possible items including steel structures,
foundations, clearances, layout drawings, grounding, oil
containment, lightning protection, schematics, and wiring
- Ensuring designs support a safe environment for transmission
lines and substations personnel, contractors and the general
- Preparing bills-of-material and specifications to procure
needed equipment and materials for a substation project.
- Preparing and filing applications and supporting documentation
for engineering permits when necessary. - PE preferred.
- Reviewing NESC clearance requirements and Maintenance personnel
and ensure the public safety is protected.
- Assisting Real Estate in the acquisition of Substation property
by coordinating the preparation of sketches, maps, exhibits and
- Directing technical personnel to gather and record data for
substation design projects.
- Working with outside engineering firms, vendors, equipment
manufacturers and consultants.
- Providing engineering support to employees to assist in their
learning of standards, procedures, designs, and associated
- Analyzing engineering issues, structures, equipment, etc., and
recommending appropriate solutions and alternate design
- Preparing estimates for proposed projects.
- Reviewing manufacturer drawings for compliance with
- Conducting design reviews, plant audits, and test witnessing at
manufacturer's facilities as necessary.
- Evaluating equipment ratings and requirements, and project
schedules to facilitate the accurate ordering of equipment to
support project in service dates.
- Managing equipment orders for Substation projects from the
initial request for equipment through delivery (technical details,
bid evaluation, schedule, drawing review, design review, action
items testing, and delivery).
- Supporting communication across business units regarding
project needs. - Convening internal project schedule compliance
review meetings with necessary parties to assure deliverables
support project schedule and are within the project budget.
- Researching and exploring new technologies that will
effectively enable work processes to be automated increasing
efficiencies while decreasing the risk of human error.
- Ensuring standards and equipment specifications are up to date
and accurate, reviewing against industry standards and best
- Participating in industry meetings to confirm FirstEnergy has a
voice in direction of industry (i.e. IEEE, EPRI, etc.).
- Ability to obtain Engineer in Training and Professional
Engineering license is preferred. - Future advancement likely
linked to ability to stamp and seal engineering design drawings as
a Professional Engineer, when necessary.
- Supporting and sustaining FirstEnergy as a high performing
organization by contributing to excellent organizational
performance and values of FirstEnergy through responsible effective
work performance. Qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET
accredited school required or be a professionally certified
engineer (PE License) and have a Bachelor of Science Degree in a
technical subject (Engineering Technology, Physics, etc.). -
- Professional Engineering (PE) License preferred. -
- Minimum of three years of experience as an Engineer II (entry
level) or equivalent work experience. - A Fundamentals of
Engineering (FE) Certificate Preferred.
- Working knowledge of applicable computer software necessary to
fulfill job duties including but not limited to Microsoft Office
and AutoCAD. - Knowledge of FileNet, SAP, and Cascade a plus but
not a requirement.
- Valid driver's license and have access to reliable
- Must embrace a safety culture and maintain a safe work
environment for co-workers and the public.
- Must be able to manage "multiple projects simultaneously" and
be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines,
unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget
constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work
assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and develop and maintain
relationships across FE, with outside firms and manufacturers that
further facilitate the cooperation needed to complete assigned
tasks and that will inspire others to achieve, or exceed,
- Must be able to work independently as well as in teams to
coordinate designs with other FirstEnergy areas of responsibility
including Siting and Permitting, Project Management, Maintenance,
Forestry, Real Estate and Construction, as well as the Regional
- Ability to make practical decisions without undue delay and
based on the best information available at the time that the
decision must be made.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with good verbal skills
and writing skills, providing comprehensive project status reports,
clear and concise correspondence, and accurate information.
- Must possess strong organizational, computer, and problem
- Must be self-directed and not dependent on detailed instruction
- Ability to support numerous locations, must be willing to
travel throughout the service area and to manufacturer locations,
and to work extra and irregular hours. Benefits, Compensation &
Workforce Diversity At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our
success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our
changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding
individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy
which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a
company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching
employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug,
dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills
development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our
website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our
employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce
diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, religion, color, national
origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a
protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a
disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed
contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to
all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools,
information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that
assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and
the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to
maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote
and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate
ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards. Position
Classification Exempt - - FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Keywords: FirstEnergy Corp, Akron , Substation Engineer, Engineering , Akron, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!