Vice President, Tax
Company: The J. M. Smucker Company
Posted on: November 11, 2019
For more than 120 years, The J.M. Smucker Company has brought
families together to share memorable meals and moments. Guided by a
vision to engage, delight, and inspire consumers through trusted
food and beverage brands that bring joy throughout their lives,
Smucker has grown to be a well-respected North American marketer
and manufacturer with a balanced portfolio of leading and emerging,
on-trend brands. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands
include Smucker's , Folgers , Jif , Dunkin Donuts , Crisco , Caf
Bustelo , R.W. Knudsen Family , Sahale Snacks , Smucker's
Uncrustables , Robin Hood , and Bick s . In pet food and pet
snacks, its brands include Rachael Ray Nutrish , Meow Mix ,
Milk-Bone , Kibbles 'n Bits , Natural Balance , and Nature s Recipe
. The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality,
People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder
and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about
our Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
Vice President, Tax
Orrville, OH (Close proximity to Cleveland/Akron)
Vice President and Treasurer
As a leader in the consumer packaged goods industry, The J.M.
Smucker Company has a strong North American footprint requiring the
strategic counsel of a seasoned executive to oversee the Company s
tax function and personnel. The Vice President, Tax will play a
critical leadership role focused on reducing tax liability and
increasing cash flow to support the Company s continued growth.
* Tax strategy Develop, formulate, implement and maintain the
Company s tax strategy, policies and procedures, and collaborate
with key business leaders regarding the same, with a goal towards
reducing tax liability and increasing cash flow consistent with the
Company s risk profile.
* Business operations partnering Interact with finance and other
key business leaders to properly align tax with business
operations, uncovering synergies, risks and opportunities,
obtaining tax incentives and credits, and ensuring on-going
compliance with implemented tax planning strategies. Provide a
consultative approach and help drive business and financial
decisions. Translate and communicate complex tax information to
various audiences to drive informed business and financial
* Financial reporting Oversee the Company s quarterly and annual
income tax provision and Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 processes to
ensure accurate tax amounts and disclosures and proper application
in the Company s financial statements. Manage forecasts of the
Company s effective tax rate for budget and planning purposes.
Identify, monitor and manage tax risks to tolerable levels.
Responsible for overall tax compliance reporting.
* Inspire the continued development of tax department, ensuring
appropriate growth for each team member while fostering a spirit of
* Interact with Company s Board of Directors Audit Committee as
appropriate, along with attending committee meetings.
* Responsible for managing an annual operating budget in excess of
$2 million including oversight of strategic external partners to
complement internal resources.
* M&A strategic transaction support Lead analysis of tax
implications of proposed mergers, joint ventures, acquisitions and
divestitures, and participate in merger, integration and
* Monitor, analyze and report on proposed / enacted law and
accounting rule changes that impacts the tax environment.
* Represent the Company at conferences and industry meetings on
various tax matters.
* Audit representation and management Leads and enables the
development of tax audit strategies and responses to information
document requests and defending tax positions challenged by tax
* Identify and assist in implementing process and technological
improvement opportunities. Maintain continuing professional
education requirements to stay apprised of new technical
* Four-year college degree, preferably in Accounting or
* Advanced degree in Taxation, CPA and/or J.D. required.
* 15 plus years of corporate tax and/or public accounting
experience with large publicly traded companies.
* Wide-ranging knowledge and working experience of federal, state
and local tax laws, rules, regulations, procedures, court
decisions, and governmental positions.
* US Taxation concepts of foreign operations preferred.
* Extensive knowledge and experience with ASC740, Accounting for
* Strong analytical, project management and organizational
* Executive presence, leadership skills, consultative and
collaborative partnering skills and ability to interact at all
levels in the organization.
The J. M. Smucker Company (the Company ) is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in
any other aspect of their employment on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin,
ancestry, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity
or expression, transgender status, marital status, familial status,
disability, genetic information, protected veteran/military status,
or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state
or local law.
Keywords: The J. M. Smucker Company, Akron , Vice President, Tax, Accounting, Auditing , Akron, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!